Look up a health practitioner


Check if your health practitioner is qualified, registered and their current registration status

Registration requirements and your obligations

Registration requirements

Since 1 July 2012 medical radiation practitioners have been a nationally regulated health profession

To practise in Australia, practitioners must be registered with the Medical Radiation Practice Board of Australia and meet the Board's registration standards.

The Board has three divisions of practice, and registered practitioners must be qualified in at least one of the following divisions:

  • diagnostic radiography
  • radiation therapy
  • nuclear medicine technology

You must be registered if you want to use a protected title. The protected titles for medical radiation practice are:

  • medical radiation practitioner
  • diagnostic radiographer
  • medical imaging technologist
  • radiographer
  • nuclear medicine scientist
  • nuclear medicine technologist, and
  • radiation therapist

If you are using one of these titles you must be registered.

There are fines for using a protected title. There are also fines ‘holding out' – this may occur where a person uses a title, name, initial, symbol, word or description which could be reasonably understood to indicate that they are qualified or registered to practise as a medical radiation practitioner.

Information video for medical radiation practitioners

Watch this short video to learn what is required to be a registered medical radiation practitioner in Australia and to stay registered.

Obligations of a registered medical radiation practitioner

This infographic shows the obligations of a medical radiation practitioner who is registered with the Medical Radiation Practice Board of Australia under the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme (the National Scheme).

See plain text version for full description of this image.

Apply for registration online

Further information on the registration process is available on the Ahpra website.

Information for overseas qualified practitioners can be found on the Board’s website.

Page reviewed 21/12/2021